Tapio – your partner in sustainable forestry
Tapio is a leading advisory and consulting services provider in the field of forest management in Finland. We provide services both to the private and public sectors in Finland and are also active globally, both in the context of boreal and tropical forest management.
Our key areas of expertise include sustainable forest management, forest resources inventory and forest management planning, forest and bioeconomy policies and climate change mitigation and adaptation. We provide consulting services, auditing, digital products including software for forest management planning, forest tree seeds and various publications and training.
Tapio in brief
2. About us
6. Contact us
1. Developing sustainable forestry
Tapio offers a wide range of services and products to companies and organizations for the sustainable management and use of forests. A century of experience and thousands of projects in experience record places Tapio in the fore front of forestry development world wide. International development projects have mainly been focused towards Russia and the EU countries but also to South-East Asia and Africa.
Responsibly managed forests are managed sustainably from an ecological, economical and social point of view. A good example of promoting responsible forest management are the Best Practices for Sustainable Forest Management, developed and maintained through a nationwide process, coordinated by Tapio. These guidelines are prepared in extensive collaboration, involving researchers, forest owners, forest industry, NGOs, practitioners, etc. The Best Practices are continuously updated in order to reflect the most recent scientific knowledge and societal values among the key stakeholders as well as the main targets set by the Finnish national forest policy. The development work related to the Best Practices is financed by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Read more from Best Practices for Sustainable Forest Management.
Our expertise helps our customers when adapting to the challenges and opportunities of global megatrends, such as global warming, digitalization and circular economy. We integrate the recent findings on climate change adaptation and mitigation in our Best Practices for Sustainable Forest Management and other projects. Many of our development projects are related to digitalization of forest management planning, deploying the management guidelines as well as training and education.
In biodiversity issues, we provide expert services to forestry organizations, such as development projects and monitoring of the forest nature management practices. Tapio’s expertise in forest biodiversity issues is widely valued among Finnish forestry organizations. Tapio has a major role in implementing the strategic projects for biodiversity targets, defined in the National Forest Strategy .
2. About us
Tapio’s history goes back over 110 years in time. In the beginning, our main task was enforcement of forest legislation along with advisory and education services. Over the years, Finnish forestry and Tapio have developed together. Today, we are a modern company providing services in the field of forest-based bioeconomy. Our main task remains the same as in the beginning in 1907: developing and promoting sustainable forest management and providing and transmitting knowledge on sustainable forest management.
Nowadays Tapio is the leading advisory and consulting service provider in the field of forest management in Finland. Tapio Ltd is 100% owned by the Finnish Government. Funding is based on paid services and a result agreement with the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Tapio serves forestry companies and organization as well as provide information and training to forest owners, media and forest service entrepreneurs. Our staff today consists of forestry experts and media experts.
Tapio Group comprises three companies: Tapio Ltd, Tapio Silva Ltd and Metsäkustannus Ltd.
Facts and figures:
- The leading advisory and consulting service provider in the field of forest management in Finland.
- Established in 1907
- Owned by Government of Finland
- Turnover EUR 10 million
- Employs some 60 professionals.
- Tapio’s main office is in Helsinki.
- Auditing services covering hundreds of sites and tens of customers
- Over 1,5 miljon sessions and 6,7 million page views in Tapio’s web pages
- Metsälehti magazine’s circulation is about 32 000 copies with 172 000 readers.
- We publish forestry news (Metsäuutiset) on our website every weekday.
- Metsäkustannus is the main publisher of forestry books. We publish yearly about 40 titles relating to forestry , nature and hobbies.
- TAPIO ForestKit forest management system is used to manage over 1 million hectares forestry land
- Half of the finnish forests are reforested by Tapio’s seed
3. Products and services
Consulting services and training
Tapio consulting services provide solutions for efficient and sustainable forest management and bioeconomy – we turn your vision into success. Tapio provides services both for public and private sector. We have over a century of experience in developing sustainable forest management.
Tapio offers open training and training targeted to individual customers, from one-day courses to training modules lasting several months. Open training brings together forest professionals working for different businesses and other employers. According to customer feedback, this has generated fruitful debate and supports the training itself. Open training brings together forest professionals working for different businesses and other employers. According to customer feedback, this has generated fruitful debate and supports the training itself.
We offer interactive web learning for individuals and companies. Webinars are also produced for small and big groups.
Forest tree seeds
Tapio Seed Centre produces top quality spruce, pine and birch tree seeds for forest sowing and nurseries in Finland. In addition to a wide and high-quality selection of seeds, the Seed Centre provides up-to-date expert assistance.
The Tapio seed center is part of the Tapio Group owned by the Finnish state. Tapio owns about 400 hectares of seed orchads which produce breeded pine, spruce, birch and larch seeds. Trees produced in seed orchads produce more wood and better quality of wood, and they are more resistant to pests and fungicides.
Tapio works closely with researchers and practice. We produce and supply almost half of the forest tree seeds used in Finland. Tapio´s model for sustainable forest management provides a chain from production of seeds and seedlings to final felling and reforestation.
Digital solutions, forest management systems
TAPIO ForestKIT is a tool for professional forest management and production of forest services. The ForestKIT application is used by forest service entrepreneurs, cities, municipalities, community forests, and large forest owners. The application is fully web-based, and technical support is included in the lease.
TAPIO Maastotaulukot (Field Tables) is a handy mobile application for forestry specialist and forest owner for field work. From the application, forest professionals and forest owners can find quickly, effortlessly and reliably an up-to-date answer to questions such as: Is it time for a thinning? How valuable is a tree? Should I protect the environment surrounding a stream? What methods are available for water conservation? What is trending now in the forest sector?
Tapio´s Quality Controlt services provide neutral assessment on how forest management and ecological requirements have been implemented in practice. High-quality forest management is about making right decisions in right time. Choosing the correct silvicultural and/or harvesting methods, timing of operations and especially quality of the operations affect the profitability.
Magazines, books and digital publications with forest and nature focus
Metsäkustannus is a multi-channel publishing house specialising in forestry. We are the leading provider of forestry information in Finland. Our business idea is to improve private forestry by publishing forestry information in various ways. Read more on our publications.
4.Key areas of expertise:
Nature and environmental aspects are integrated in our concept of sustailable forests management. We provide expert services in nature, environment and water management as well as ecosystem services.
We offer knowledge on these issues:
- Sustainable forest management
- Forest and bioeconomy policies
- Ecosystem services
- Multiple use of forests
- Forest resources inventory and forest management planning
- Bio-based policy development
- Forest analyzes and maps
- Forest based bioenergy
- Climate change mitigation & adaption
- Bioeconomy and kiertotalous
- Protection of waters
- Information and education to forest owners and forest professionals.
- Forest road planning, construction and maintenance.
Forest Policy Forum
- The Forest Policy Forum is a continuous process, where we bring together researchers and forestry actors to process current topics
- The aim of the Forest Policy Forum is to produce facts and suggestions in the spirit of Evidence-based forestry
- Results are used in forest policy and allocation of forest research resources.
National developmenet project Monimetsä
- The project aims to improve the effectiveness of forest nature management measures and the ecological sustainability of forest management.
- Tapio’s role in the project is to give expert support for the project team in making the project products such as education, communication and materials.
- Project owner: The ministry for forestry and agriculture
- The Koli Forum is a top-level initiative establishing a new discussion forum on natural resources. Topics of Koli Forum are related to natural resources and the bioeconomy from the availability of raw materials, their economic use and environmental aspects. Koli Forum has evolved into a trendsetting advisory forum in the fields of the bioeconomy and sustainable use of natural resources.
- Mrs. Liisa Käär from Tapio has been the secretary general of Koli Forum since 2015.
Best Practices for Sustainable Forest Management
- Developed and maintained in broad cooperation with research, forestry actors and NGOs
- Financed by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Our auditing services provide our customers with verified data on the quality of their operations
Customers: UPM, Tornator, Stora Enso and Vapo
TAPIO Forest Kit
- A leading software suite for forest management planning and forestry operations
- Customers: forestry entrepreneurs and big forest owners. Cities and municipalities as well as forestry education
Forest road construction in Finland and Russia
- Projects of forest road maintenance, project increasing subsidized forest nature management. Project increasing subsidized forest road construction and peatland forest improvement.
- Several training sessions of forest road construction for Finnish and Russian forestry companies in North-Western Russia.
Developing suggestions for cooperation in forestry between Finland and Tunisia
- Customer: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Finland
6. Contact us:
Find Tapio’s contact information and people here.
Please, send us a message by this contact form.